Children today face a plethora of mental issues that might have long-term repercussions for their well-being. From the pressures of social media to the pressures of academic accomplishment, children might struggle to manage the intricacies of modern life.
In this article, we will look at some of the most common mental health issues that children experience today and offer advice on how parents, educators, and carers may help them overcome these issues.
Here are some reasons that lead to mental health challenges-
1. Social Media and Technology Use- The rise of social media and technology has produced a fresh set of challenges for today's kids. Social media can be a breeding ground for bullying, cyberstalking, and other negative behaviors that can cause anxiety and stress.
Excessive use of technology, such as video games and social media, can also result in decreased physical activity, poor sleep patterns, and decreased social connection.
2. Academic Pressures- Academic pressures can be a major cause of stress for today's children. School pressure can lead to anxiety, depression, and even suicidal behavior. Academic challenges can also aggravate pre-existing mental health disorders, making it harder for children to regulate their emotions and focus on their academics.
3. Trauma and Adverse Life Experiences- Trauma and adverse life experiences can have a significant impact on a child's mental health and well-being. Abuse, neglect, poverty, and exposure to violence or natural catastrophes are examples of such experiences. Anxiety, depression, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and other mental health issues can result from trauma.
To help children cope with trauma and adverse life experiences, it is important to provide a safe and supportive environment, seek professional help from a mental health providers, and help children develop positive coping strategies like meditation.
Now, let us look at a few strategies to help children handle these mental health challenges.
Strategies for Parents to Help Children Deal With Mental Health Challenges:
1) Seek Professional Help: Encourage children to seek professional counselling from a mental health expert to help them manage anxiety and depression. Therapy and medication can help manage symptoms and improve general well-being.
2) Teach them Meditation Techniques: Parents and caregivers can help children by providing a supportive and understanding environment, offering relaxation techniques such as deep breathing and meditation, and assisting them in developing positive coping strategies.
3) Monitor Screen Time: To help children deal with the challenges of social media and technology, parents or caregivers should minimize screen time, encourage outdoor activities and physical activity, and monitor their child's social media use. It is equally critical to teach children about internet safety and to give support and direction when they face negative behaviors online.
4) Create a Supportive Environment: To help children cope with academic pressures, parents or caregivers can provide support and encouragement, assist children in developing study skills and time management strategies, and educate them to prioritize self-care and mental health.
Teachers can also support by creating a friendly and inclusive learning environment, making academic modifications as needed, and fostering open communication with students and parents.
While all the above tips work at a superficial level, BodhiShishu's techniques work at the subconscious level of the child for lasting results. All our programs are age-appropriate, fun and engaging. Always keep in mind that every child is unique, and what works for one child may not work for another. It is important to be patient and try multiple methods to see what works best for your child. That's why all our programs have techniques for all learner types- Visual, Auditory and Kinaesthetic. Your child can learn the skills needed to be calm and focussed with practise and encouragement.