There are no items in your cart
Struggling to increase your child's self-esteem? Try these tips and tricks for immediate results!
Sat Apr 15, 2023
Self-esteem is a person's overall evaluation or judgment of their own worth or value. It refers to how much a person likes, accepts, and respects himself or herself. Self-esteem, in other words, represents a person's assessment of their own abilities, character, and overall value as a human being.
A person with high self-esteem has a positive self-image and is confident in their abilities, whereas a person with low self-esteem has a negative self-image and is unsure of their abilities.
Self-esteem is a crucial component of mental health and is connected to factors such as resilience, motivation, and social skills. A variety of things can impact it, including personal experiences, social relationships, and cultural norms.
Importance of Self-Esteem in Kids
Here are some reasons why self-esteem is important for kids:
Now, let’s discuss some effective ways to build self-esteem in children.
Effective Ways to Build Self-Esteem in Children
1. Encourage Self-Expression: Let your children express themselves freely and without fear of being judged. Encourage children to express their opinions, ideas, and emotions, even if they differ from yours. By doing so, you acknowledge their uniqueness and assist them in developing a sense of self-worth.
2. Foster Independence: Let your children express themselves freely and without fear of being judged. Let your child take on age-appropriate responsibilities such as making their bed or finishing their homework on their own.
This will make them feel more independent and boost their self-esteem. Acknowledge and applaud their efforts when they complete a task. Encourage children to express their opinions, ideas, and emotions, even if they differ from yours. By doing so, you acknowledge their uniqueness and assist them in developing a sense of self-worth.
3. Teach Problem-Solving Skills: Teach your children how to handle problems and deal with difficulties in a positive way. Help them to recognise and express their emotions, and then work together to find a solution. This will assist children in developing resilience as well as self-confidence, both of which are necessary for self-esteem development.
4. Celebrate Uniqueness: Help your children recognise and appreciate their unique qualities and skills. Emphasize that everyone is unique and that our differences are what make us unique. Urge them to be appreciative of their individuality and to embrace it.
5. Encourage Meditation Techniques: Meditation helps children become more aware of their thoughts and emotions. This self-awareness can assist individuals in recognising and replacing negative thought patterns with more positive ones. Children can boost their self-esteem by learning to observe their thoughts without judgement.
In conclusion, building kids self-esteem requires a combination of support, encouragement, and positive experiences. You can help your child develop a strong sense of self-worth and confidence that will serve them well throughout their life by following the guidelines above.Remember that developing self-esteem is a process that requires time, patience, and perseverance. Your child will grow up feeling comfortable and confident in themselves because of your love and support.
While all the above tips work at a superficial level, BodhiShishu's techniques work at the subconscious level of the child for lasting results. All our programs are age-appropriate, fun and engaging. Always keep in mind that every child is unique, and what works for one child may not work for another. It is important to be patient and try multiple methods to see what works best for your child. That's why all our programs have techniques for all learner types- Visual, Auditory and Kinaesthetic. Your child can learn the skills needed to be calm, happy and focussed with practise and encouragement.
Explained through animations, stories, worksheets, guided imageries and music, our courses would help kids manage negative emotions like anger, stress, anxiety, fear, jealousy, insecurity and at the same time develop positive emotions like empathy, love, compassion, gratitude and kindness. Help your kids lead a happy, joyous and fulfilled life! Start early!